As a logically minded person with a love for linguistics, I distinctly remember learning the true root of the proper word for brekky – BREAKFAST meant to literally BREAK the FAST that you just did while sleeping. 7 year old mind = blown. So now on this sunny Wednesday morning after a refreshing night storm in Sydney last night, I am reminded of that moment. Firstly because it is one of the first days that I haven’t had sweat dripping down my back by 11am in what seems like months and SECONDLY because there is finally a really big, important event to write about here at Born Free.
If you’re wondering if I’ve become lazy or joined the Liberal Party, you can rest easy. Lazy is debatable and well I’d join the LNP over my dead body. I’ve been really busy growing my business as a digital producer and moving house, and I’m really sorry that I haven’t been as active on this blog.
But after last week’s International Women’s Day march, my sign making skills are polished and I’m ready to march once again – with a nationwide rally happening this Sunday.
Sydney: 1pm at Belmore Park (by Central Station)
- JESSICA WALKER (Queensland Teachers Union, Yeronga High School & Save Mojgan campaign)
- JOEL SHAKESPEARE (former Save the Children worker on Nauru)
- REV JOHN BARR (President, NSW Ecumenical Council)
- MS WIES SCHUIRINGA (Religious Society of Friends – Quakers)
- REV MYUNG HWA PARK (Uniting Synod NSW/ACT) RABBI GAD KREBS (Kehillat Masada Synagogue)
- FR SHENOUDA MANSOUR (Coptic Orthodox Church)
- DR SUE WAREHAM (Medical Association for Prevention of War)
- SHOKUFA TAHIRI (Afghan refugee)
- IAN RINTOUL (Refugee Action Coalition)
- MC: DR DAVID ISAACS (Former Nauru paediatrician)
Melbourne: 2pm State Library of Victoria, Swanston St
- Daniel Webb – Human Rights Law Centre
- Nazir Yousafi – Refugee & President Victorian Afghan Associations Network
- Senator Sarah Hanson Young – Australian Greens
- Interfaith Panel: Rabbi Jonathan Keren-Black – The Leo Baeck Centre, Mohamed
- Mohideen – Islamic Council of Victoria, Stuart McMillan, President Uniting Church,
- Lisa Fitzpatrick – State Secretary ANMF
- Shen Narayanasamy – GetUp!
- Pamela Curr – Asylum Seeker Resource Centre
Musical performances by Dan Sultan, Melbourne Mass Gospel Choir, South of the River, Little Foot and Shaking The Tree (Dan Sultan will be performing at the end of the march in Queen Vic Gardens, half the speakers will also be at the end of the march).
Toowoomba: 11:30am, St Patrick’s Cathedral, James Street
At 12.30 there will be speeches at Civic Square followed by Community Picnic. BYO food and love to share 🙂
Armidale: 11:30am, Judith Wright Grove, corner of Faulkner and Dumaresq Streets, across from the Farmer’s Market
Gather 11:15 for an 11:30 March to Rally in the Mall with Theatre, Speakers and Music
For further information call Bea Bleile on 0458 752 680
Any other events please contact me so I can post them!